Fixing the PDF preview handler in MS Outlook

I was having issues with previewing Adobe PDF and MS Office documents in MS Outlook 2010 i.e. preview didn’t work and the message “This file cannot be previewed because of an error with the following previewer: PDF Preview Handler for Vista” appeared instead. I’m running Windows 7 but it applies there as well, so I looked for an answer and thought I’d share.

This solution was provided by Leo Davidson who has also written a registry fix utility but I elected to do the fix manually.

First, open regedit.exe and browse to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Classes\
CLSID\{DC6EFB56-9CFA-464D-8880-44885D7DC193}

2013-01-21_130325
Now change the AppID value to the following

{534A1E02-D58F-44f0-B58B-36CBED287C7C}

Click OK and you should be able to preview PDF and other files. It worked for me, so thanks Leo.

22 thoughts on “Fixing the PDF preview handler in MS Outlook

1. Calin

It didn’t work for me. I have a Windows 7 – 64 bit OS. Any recommendations? It is very frustrating, I was used with the old Vista and XP where it worked. Why now it does not? Please help!

1. frankr Post author

I’m also using Windows 7 64 bit and it works for me. Please make sure that you have selected the correct key and pasted the new value without missing any characters at the end.

2. Stefan

Hello!
    Unfortunately there’s no key “Wow6432Node/Classes/” (so the “Classes” entry is missing). What can I do instead?

I’m using Outlook 2013 on a 64-bit Win7 machine.

Many thanks in advance and best regards,

Stefan

3. frankr Post author

Thanks for the feedback. I’m glad to hear it worked for most of you who have posted. Credit goes to Leo Davidson for this solution, I was happy to pass it on as it worked for me.

4. Darren

This did NOT work with Windows 8.1 and Outlook 2010 SP2. The key value shown here was already in place by default!

5. Mr C

Well, the fix worked for about a minute. Now it’s saying the “PDF preview handler is disabled” and gives me an “Enabled” button.
    Clicking on it doesn’t appear to be doing anything though. When I find a solution for that problem, I’ll post it here….

6. Todd

Didnt work for me. i can only open the second pdf file. for example if a pdf email comes in with 1 pdf attachement i cannot open it, if it has 2 attachments i can open number 2 but not number 1.

and this is only from our fax/scanner forwarding me faxes. if you just pdf something and send it to me with 5 attachments they all work fine.

if i get a fax, i cant preview page 1.